Saturday, November 24, 2007

God cares about green bean casserole too

Okay so here is the green bean casserole story. It is too good not to share.

Oddly, green beans are hard to find here. You can find one brand of canned beans and they are not the very good but we eat them every now and then. Preparing for Thanksgiving was a little stressful for me and I had become pretty emotional. Missing home combined with some work issues and the stresses of never having cooked a turkey before was pretty overwhelming. Friends were bringing food to our Thanksgiving but no one was bringing any green vegetable. All I wanted was some good green bean casserole but I figured it would have to be missing from the Thanksgiving table this year.

As I was cooking the turkey and stuffing, I went to borrow some celery from Sheila Norton, our pastor's wife. She has been my cooking mentor you could say since we have been here as they live across the parking lot. She was asking me how my turkey and cooking was going and I told her my story along with the fact that no one was bringing vegetables. She got so excited because she told me she had a whole green bean casserole that she had made the night before for their thanksgiving and they forgot to eat and had left it in the oven. It was ready to be eaten and she offered it to me! I began to cry right and told her how I had really wanted to green bean casserole but didn't think I would get it. I guess God allowed her to forget about eating it for a reason Thursday night because he wanted to bless us with it.

God is so good! It is such a comfort to know that He doesn't just care about the big things in our lives but He wants to comfort us in those 'green bean casserole moments' too. Thank you God for friends and green bean casserole.

No comments: