Saturday, October 18, 2008

Mommy, that's Shelby Grace's song!

Zachary has grown up to be such a musical little boy. I am so excited that he loves to sing and play instruments. For a three year old, he has pretty good rhythm and is able to carry a tune. He has amazed us with his ability. Ever since he was born, I would sing him to sleep at night. Many times when he was an infant, I would be up in the middle of the night singing hymns to him to try and get him to go back to sleep. Over time he seemed to pick one song that he would fall asleep to and to this day asks for at night. I can't sing anything else but "My Jesus I Love Thee" and I wouldn't have it any other way. To know that my son falls asleep to with the thoughts of Jesus dying to save him does my heart good.

Now that Shelby Grace is here, I've been trying to figure out what her song was going to be. I have been doing a Bible study on the Psalms so two songs have been on my heart and mind lately. I have been singing "I Lift My Eyes Up"taken from Psalm 121 and "He Knows My Name" based on Psalm 139 along with Jeremiah 1:5. As Zachary has heard me singing to Shelby Grace during the first 2 weeks of her life, he has decided that "He Knows My Name", or "I have a Maker" as he calls it, is Shelby Grace's song. I couldn't pick a better message to sing to her and have her be reminded that God has created her exactly as he wanted her to be.

When my parents were here, my mom was laying down with Zachary at bedtime one night and he asked to listen to some music at bedtime. He wanted to listen to "daddy's" music. There was a Six Steps worship CD in the CD player. They laid there for awhile listening to the music and my mom thought Zachary had fallen asleep. Next thing she knew, he pops up because "I have a Maker" came on. "That's baby sister's song, that's baby sister's song!!!" I am so thankful that at 3 years old, Zachary enjoys listening to songs about God, can sing most of the words of songs on his worship CD's and can recognize them when played. What a special blessing! My prayer is that the words of these songs are embedded deep in his heart and he will be able to use the words of the songs as encouragement, guidance, or comfort throughout his life. May the same love of music be instilled in Shelby Grace as well.

May we all be reminded today that there is God up above who loves us, created us just as we are and knows our name. He cares about every part of our lives and is with us wherever we go. May the words of Shelby Grace's song be an encouragement to you today.

He Knows My Name
Words and Music by Tommy Walker
© 1996 Doulos Publishing

Jeremiah 1:5"Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee."

I have a Maker
He formed my heart
Before even time began
My life was in his hands

Chorus
He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
and He hears me when I call

I have a Father
He calls me His own
He’ll never leave me
No matter where I go

Chorus
He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
and He hears me when I call

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a great family portrait and smiles from everyone.

Hope Zachary had a great birthday. I was telling Dawson that Zachary would be 3 in two days. He said, "But I'm three." He seems to understand that he is older and not quite sure how they both could be 3 at the same time. So I told Dawson he was really three and half not just three. That seemed better.

Maybe one day Zachary will join mom and dad in a song to sing for everyone.